These are amazing and such a fantastic idea because it pretty much rounds up cake, fruit and creaminess all in one dessert. I’m not going to lie — I’m not a huge fan of fruit but I love cake. However, when they are combined together and mixed with a fresh, homemade raw whipped cream… well… uh….. it’s pretty safe to call it a party in the mouth and a party pleaser. No joke. I made these for my cousins, one of which does not like sweets, at all, and he tore. it. up.
Plus, with Fourth of July right around the corner these would make for a fun, festive, fresh and light dessert to have at a BBQ; the strawberries, blueberries and cream play into the red, white and blue theme. How awesome is that!?
I don’t know about you, but if I’ve been out in the sun, drinking, and eating BBQ all day the last thing I want to do is eat a heavy dessert. These trifles are anything but heavy. They are just plain delicious.
Although I’m not a huge fan of plastic, to make these desserts BBQ friendly you could put them in plastic glasses so you don’t have to worry about glass breaking and little (or big) feet stepping on the broken glass. That would be a serious party foul.
You can switch out the berries to whatever is in season.
Fresh Berry Mini Pound Cake Trifles
- 2 cups (1/2 inch) pound cake, cubed (find one with a good ingredient label or try this soaked one)
- 1 TBL grated lime rind
- 2 cups homemade whipped cream (recipe here)
- 1 1/2 TBL fresh lime juice
- 1 1/4 cups strawberries, divided
- 1 1/4 cups blueberries, divided
- Place lime juice and 1 cup each blueberries and strawberries in a dish (square dish works best). Mash berry mixture using the back of a spoon or potato masher (reserve the 1/4 cup of each berries — do not mash)
- Layer half of the pound cake cubes along the bottom of 4 dessert glasses
- Make homemade whipped cream
- Once homemade whipped cream is complete, fold in lime rind
- Top dessert glasses evenly with half of berry mixture and half of homemade whipped cream
- Repeat layers with remaining half of cake cubes, berry mixture, and topping mixture
- Top each dessert cup with 1 TBL remaining berries (these have not been smashed)
What kind of desserts do you like better? Fruity or Cakey?