I love fettuccine alfredo… Only crazy people don’t love it! The creamy, cheesy goodness is heaven to the mouth. When it’s made with real, raw pastured cream and raw, authentic parmigiano regiano cheese… umm.. it’s to die for!
My mom used to joke with me and tell me the reason why I love fettuccine alfredo so much is because when she was pregnant with me that’s all she ate. Distinct memories from my child include a home cooked meal of fettuccine alfredo, homemade garlic bread and a nice caeser salad. So I guess you can say fettuccine alfredo holds a dear place to my heart.
I went a long span without eating it because I thought it was “too fattening.” Obviously, this was in my pre-traditional food days — what a shame. Once I had my food epiphany I never ordered fettuccine alfredo at restaurants because it wasn’t to my preferred quality. So, I just went months without eating it!
THEN…. I came across this recipe for fettuccine alfredo which gave me inspiration to tweak it to my tasting. I like the way she added the lemon but it was way too over powering (I like the heaviness of cream and cheese) so I changed it to how I liked it. It has become one of our favorite dishes of all time.
I couldn’t find any quality brown rice fettuccine noodles so I opted for Jovial’s brown rice capellini noodles — and I love them! I think this is definitely the way to go instead of fettuccine noodles… unless you are more the traditional type and like your noddles fettuccine style. If so, just opt for those instead of the capellini.
I added some organic green peas in there as well because the green gives it a nice color and it’s a good contrasting texture.
p.s. I can’t wait to make it for my mom!
- 1 package capellini brown rice pasta (find it here)
- 1 1/4 cup raw cream or organic heavy whipping cream (stay away from ultra-pasteurized)
- zest of 1/2 a lemon
- 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 10 tablespoon pastured butter (Reserve 2 TBL for pasta)
- 1 1/2 cup raw grated parmigiano regianio cheese (pasteurized can be substituted if you can’t find raw)
- 1/2 tsp unrefined sea salt (find it here)
- unrefined kosher salt if you have it for the pasta water (find it here)
- 1/2 cup – 3/4 cup frozen organic (no salt) peas
- Add a good heaping of kosher salt (don’t be shy!) and a little dash of olive oil to the water to give it some flavor. Boil pasta according to manufacturers directions.
- Meanwhile, in a separate sauce pan add cream, lemon zest, lemon juice and mix to combine
- Turn the burner on medium heat, add butter and stir until butter has melted
- Once the butter has melted, stir in the salt and parmigiano cheese
- Lower the heat to medium low and continue to stir until the sauce thickens *anywhere from 5-8 minutes
- Halfway before the sauce is done, add in green peas
- Once the pasta is done, add a 2 TBL of butter to the pasta and mix well
- Add the cream sauce to the pasta and mix well
- Serve with homemade garlic bread
See that scrumptious looking piece of garlic bread on the top? Click here to get a crazy good recipe for an herb butter to put on sourdough bread. YUM!
Are you a fettuccine alfredo lover?