Yesterday was the start of my “clean out my freezer” cooking spree. I’ve got a lot of meat that has added up from my monthly CSA boxes so I figured I might as well save some money and work with what I’ve got. I’ve got a lot of red meat (chunks of roasts) but because we had some red meat the other night, I figured I’d make some chicken.
It’s easy to get caught up in making a certain food a certain way, all the time. I had some drumsticks laying around and was trying to come up with an idea. Hmmm, fried chicken was the first thing that came to mind and it sounded super delicious! I also had an emotionally draining day so I really was unmotivated to cook but the time was ticking away and dinner hour was creeping up quick. With a cranky toddler and a hungry husband, mama’s gotta work quick!
So, I searched around the internet to get inspired and came across a pan fried chicken recipe. Unfortunately (but not surprisingly), the recipe called for vegetable oil, potato flakes, and a bunch of other unhealthy ingredients. Good thing is, it is not hard to convert a recipe with unhealthy ingredients to ones that you are satisfied with feeding to your family. I took a chance and decided to be a little creative. I skipped the potato flakes, used expeller pressed coconut oil to fry the chicken instead and kept it simple with the spices. The end result? Deli-cious, crispy chicken!!! The only unhealthy thing is the bread crumbs but hey, sometimes you’ve got to bend a little.
It was so good I had to share the recipe with you!
I only used 4 drumsticks because I portion out my meat so the amount of ingredients will call for that. If you are feeding more people, adjust accordingly and use whatever type of cut of meat you’d like. I suggest sticking to only parts of chicken with bone-in. The bone keeps the meat more moist.
The cool thing about this recipe is that it’s easy to just add a little more when needed. You can also experiment with different herbs if you favor one over the other.
Crispy Rosemary Pan Fried Chicken
- 4 drumsticks, patted dry
- 1/2 cup- 3/4 cup panko breadcrumbs (find it here)
- 1/4 cup (or less) sprouted whole wheat flour (find it here)
- unrefined sea salt (find it here)
- pepper (find it here)
- 1/2 TBL dried rosemary (find it here)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup-1/2 cup expeller pressed coconut oil for frying (find it here)
- Grab 3 bowls. In one bowl, whisk egg. In second bowl, add sprouted flour. In third bowl, add panko breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, and rosemary- mix well
- Salt and pepper drumsticks
- Grabbing 1 drumstick at a time, dip first in egg mixture, dip in sprouted flour (don’t coat heavily), and then dip in panko breadcrumb mixture. Make sure you pat the breadcrumbs in very well on the chicken
- Repeat until all chicken is coated
- Turn heat on medium, add coconut oil and fry the chicken on the pan. This will take a while (15-25 mins). Keep an eye out and keep turning so it gets golden brown on all sides
Until next time,
Loriel – Healthy Roots, Happy Soul