Right now on the web there is something called The Real Food Summit that is being held from July 8-July 16. It is a FREE online event hosted by Sean Croxton from the Underground Wellness. This online conference has a collection of Twenty-nine farmers, nutritionists, and bloggers that will teach us how Just Eating Real Food is best for not only our health, but the health of the soil, the plants, the animals, and the future of our planet.
I’ve been listening for the past 3 days and it has been AMAZING. You can’t deny that there are so many different conflicting information about what is the healthiest, what type of foods we should eat, and what causes food allergies. With this fantastic lineup of speakers you can surely get some of the answers to the questions you’ve always had lingering in your mind.
I encourage you to sign up for the conference because it is free and nowhere can you get such amazing, true information. Some of the world’s leading authorities on health, whole foods and sustainable agriculture are speaking and you most definitely don’t want to miss it.
Here is the full schedule:
- We are feeding our babies way too big of portions when it comes to fruits. For example, us eating one banana is equivalent to giving a 25lb baby 2-3 bananas. That’s insane when you really think of it!
- Fruits used to only be available for 6-12 weeks of the year and were picked right away when in season. Now because of hybridization and our sweet tooth, we have engineered fruit to be more sweeter, have longer seasons and withstand being able to be transported from one country to another.
- Agave nectar is NOT a good sweetener
BEEF, CHICKEN, PIG-
- Grass-finished beef is what you should look for because a cow finished on grass has higher CLA
- There is a higher amount of conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) found in grass finished beef
- CLA is the number one anti-carcinogenic (meaning it fights cancer)
- CLA is depleted just after 14 days of grain feeding
- Vegetarian diets are inappropriate for chickens and pigs because they are omnivores
- Free-range in USDA terms means the animal can move all it’s limbs
FISH, VITAMIN D, MERCURY-
- There is an exaggerated risk with mercury and consumption of fish because the role of selenium is ignored
- Selenium which is found is cold water fatty fish binds to potentially dangerous mercury and forms a new substance. When the mercury is bound to the selenium it is difficult to absorb and cannot bind to our tissues (which is why people say to not eat fish because of the mercury)
- In essence, the selenium prevents the oxidative brain damage that has been associated with mercury ingestion. So, eat your fish!
- Eating fish that have a higher level of mercury than selenium (tarpon, pilot whale meat, some sharks, marlin, swordfish) so the mercury may be a concern. But most popular fish have more selenium than mercury so it is not going to be an issue in terms of human health
- No other omega-6, omega-3 fatty acids (arachiodonic acid & DHA) are selectively chosen to transfer over to the placenta
- DHA and arachidonic acid are the most abundant fats in the brain- this means pastured eggs & fish are beneficial to eat because they support the health of your brain!
- Fish only consist of 9% of our dietary intake of PCB’s and dioxins
- Highest dietary sources PCB’s and dioxins are found in dairy, vegetables, beef, chicken, pork (industrially raised)
- Vitamin D can be absorbed by the sun but people who suffer from obesity or inflammation have a decreased conversion from sunlight to vitamin D
- Fish is the highest source of natural vitamin D
- 88% of corn is GM in the U.S. and 94% of soybeans are GM in the U.S.
- The vast majority of infant formula in the U.S. is from cows treated with the bovine growth hormone or it has genetically modified corn solids or sweeteners
- Soy in infant formula is also GMO
- Pasteurized milk is NOT a good source of calcium because of the phosphate enzyme that is completely denatured due to pasteurization. Phosphate helps activate the calcium bank which allows it to take calcium in and out of the body when needed. Without the phosphate the availability of calcium drops and the calcium is no longer bioavailable.
- Phosphate is present in raw milk thus increasing bone density which has been reported by many consumers
Don’t miss out on this one-time event! Sign up here
Until next time,
Loriel – Healthy Roots, Happy Soul
This blog post is part of: Real Food Wednesday