Dressings can make a salad go from bland tasting to fireworks in your mouth! Unfortunately, most bottled dressings (and as a matter of fact, sauces too) are loaded with preservatives, artificial ingredients, MSG, unhealthy fats..etc. So it’s almost as if you’re drowning out all the nutrients from your salad with bottled dressings instead of intensifying them!
This is why I’ve got to share this caesar dressing… it’s fireworks in your mouth PLUS more. My husband is in LOVE with this dressing and could literally eat it by itself. I’ve made it for my cousins and a friend of mine and all were huge fans! Thank you to Jessica for sharing this recipe. Another bonus? It’s loaded with healthy fats, good-for-you ingredients AND it’s super easy to make. The best part? You can put this dressing on ANY type of salad… it doesn’t have to be specifically a caesar salad. 🙂
*When possible use organic and unrefined products. Don‘t forget to read the labels!
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 1 TBL raw apple cider vinegar (I use Braggs brand)
- 1 TBL spicy brown mustard
- 2 TBL mayo (I use my homemade mayo- it’s difficult to find a good mayo on the market. But if you can’t find a good mayo, use regular as last resort)
- unrefined sea salt
- anchovies (these little fishies add a boost of nutrients to your dressing! I use Reese’s flat filet anchovies in olive oil)
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil (find a quality brand here)
- You’ll need either a food processor or blender
- Add garlic, 1 TBL cider vinegar and 1 TBL spicy brown mustard to food processor/blender — Pulse a few times
- Add 2 TBL mayo. Pulse a few times.
- Slowly add olive oil to processor to make sure it emulsifies- this works well when you have the type of food processor that allows you to add in liquids while it’s still running. Unfortunately, I don’t have that luxury so I add a little olive oil then blend, add a little olive oil then blend and so on until I’ve used all the olive oil.
- Add in lemon juice, salt and anchovies.
- Blend until smooth consistency.
- Taste test and see if you need to add any more lemon, salt or anchovy (By the way, I use pretty much all the anchovies that come in the tin, it makes it taste delicious!). Serve onto salad and enjoy 🙂
I put the remaining dressing in a recycled jar and it usually lasts about 3-4 days (it will become thicker in time).
Until next time,
Loriel – Healthy Roots, Happy Soul