I had my cousin Sivan over for dinner last night and decided to whip up something quick and easy. This was my first time trying this chicken recipe and it was definitely a hit. I modified some of the ingredients but it was inspired by Kelly the Kitchen Kop– she has amazing recipes! We all loved it and kept going back for more.
*Remember, if you can use all organic, antibiotic/hormone free ingredients and pastured chicken.
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour (I used the unbleached kind)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoon milk
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 cup italian seasoned breadcrumb
- 2 chicken breasts
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
- Take your chicken breasts, butterfly them (slice them in half to make thinner) then cut in “nugget” pieces. I then used a tenderizer on some pieces to make them a little thinner (You don’t have to do this if you don’t have a tenderizer)
- Melt 1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) of butter (I used organic unsalted stick butter) and coat the bottom of a glass baking dish **I had to use 2 baking dishes, 1 9×13 and one smaller because all would not fit
- In one bowl mix your flour, salt, pepper and garlic powder
- In second bowl whisk together your eggs and milk
- In third bowl mix your cheese and breadcrumbs
- Take your chicken piece and first dip it into the flour mix, then the egg mix, then the cheese mix. Place the breaded piece onto your baking dish
- Melt the 3 tablespoons of butter and drizzle over the chicken
- Pop those babies in the oven for about 35 minutes. To check if the chicken is done, slice one in half and make sure the juices are clear and there is no pink
Interested in the side dishes?
- I cooked brown rice in homemade chicken broth. This added all the goodness of the vitamins and minerals from the chicken broth (and it made the house smell amazing!).
- I also cut some broccoli and cauliflower up, drizzled extra virgin olive oil, sea salt and pepper on it. Make sure you take your hands and mix it up so the broccoli and cauliflower are evenly distributed with oil. I baked it in the oven at 400 degrees for 30 minutes. *Tip* make this before the chicken then put some tin foil over it to keep it warm while the chicken is cooking.
- Last but not least, I made a salad. I had 1 avocado, 1 tomato, romaine lettuce, some other type of lettuce I got at the farmers market, crutons (I found some that only had 4 or 5 ingredients and they were all things I could pronounce) and homemade caeser dressing. Oh, don’t forget to add salt and pepper to the mix.
Until next time,
Loriel – Healthy Roots, Happy Soul