Yay for the first recipe of this blog!! I made this recipe the other night and it was out-of-this-world! It was sooo delicious, very easy to make and didn’t require a ton of prepping. As I’m realizing in this world of REAL food, in order to eat well, you actually have to spend time in the kitchen. So when I come across a recipe (from Tessa the Domestic Diva) I HAD to try it. I modified it a little bit to our taste but the inspiration came from Tessa the Domestic Diva
My husband Scott and I were definitely NOT disappointed. The best part is you can freeze half so you can have a quick easy meal later on!
- 1 pound (about) ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper (I used a sweet red one), chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 6oz can tomato paste
- 1/4 cup water
- OPTIONAL: 1-2 cups soaked black beans (or 1 can), diced avocado, chopped cilantro, sauteed plantains in lard
I used black beans that I had soaked for 24 hours in some water with 2 TBL apple cider vinegar (BRAGGS kind). You can also use 2 TBL lemon juice.
- Chop your onion, bell pepper and mince your garlic
- Put the ground beef, chopped onion, bell pepper and minced garlic in a large pan on medium heat
- Just before the beef is completely cooked, add all of the remaining ingredients (If you are going to use beans, add them now)
- Bring to a low simmer and cover
- Cook for about 20 minutes to let all of the flavors mesh into one another
- Serve your picadillo on top of rice and you can add the cilantro and avocado as a garnish (I didn’t have either items and it still turned out perfect!).
Until next time,
Loriel – Healthy Roots, Happy Soul